Friday, June 15, 2012

Homemade Mayo, Why Buy?

Homemade Mayo
I normally don't eat a lot of mayonnaise. In fact until a few years ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what it is made from. Lately though, I have been into the chicken, tuna and crab salads served over greens. I could eat fresh cold salads all day.

Without thinking, I would pick up the large jar of "real" mayo and glob it in the bowl, until the other day. I cast my eye upon the large ingredient list. My goodness, was it ever long. Real mayo?? Far from it. There must be a better way, and soon I found it.

HomeMade Mayo

1 Large Egg (get a homegrown fresh egg, you will be eating it raw and factory farms are disease incubators)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbls Lemon Juice
1/4 c plus cup to 1 cup extra light olive oil (has to be light, virgin is just to heavy and has a strong flavor)

Bring everything to room temperature. Place egg, mustard, salt, lemon juice and 1/4 c olive oil in blender and whirl on 'blend' for about 30 seconds. With the blender still running, very slowly drizzle in the 1 cup of olive oil. When I say slow, I mean s l o w.  You will hear the difference in the blender motor when it starts to become emulsified. When the thick mayo doesn't want to mix anymore, you are done adding oil. My first batch took about 3/4 oil but my egg may have been smaller than yours. It should last about a week or two in the fridge.